This article will take you through all the steps to configuring your RMS system for the first time.
We have broken the configuration into sessions, grouping all related topics to provide ease of use.
Within the below sessions you will find short tutorial videos on each section of the configuration to guide you in the best practices.
For more detailed information on a subject click once on the title to be taken to a full knowledge base article on that topic.
A Primary Support Person will be allocated to you helping you with this process and all future requirements.
Welcome to RMS
Welcome to RMS! We have a large range of help resources to assist you not only with your configuration but well into the future.
This session will take you through how to enter your Property Information, General System Settings, Labels & Accounting Options.
This session will take you through how to add GL Acc Codes, Sundry Charges, Credit Card Setup, Requirements, Sundry Packages, Discounts & Late Fees.
This session will take you through how to add your Categories (Room Types) and Areas (Rooms).
This session will take you through the steps to configuring your Tariffs (Rates)
This session will take you through how to add Attributes, Booking Sources, Res Types, Housekeeping, Travel Agents, Companies, User Security, Field Maintenance & Form Letters.
This session will show you how to make a Single Reservation, Group Reservation, Long Term Reservation. It will also take you through using the Reservation Search Screen, Client Search Screen, Booking Chart & Availability Chart.
This session will cover the In/Out Screen, Snapshot, To Do List, Cash Account & Report Writer.
This session will cover Steps to Going Live, Night Audit Procedures and Daily Front Office Procedures.
- Session 1
- These short session videos will take you through your Property Options and Accounting Options Configuration. For a more detailed breakdown of each subject, click once on the subject title.
- Session 2
- These short session videos will take you through how to add GL Acc Codes, Sundry Charges, Credit Card Setup, Requirements, Sundry Packages, Discounts & Late Fees. Requirements, Sundry Packages, Discounts & Late Fees are all optional elements of RMS, and can be added at any time. If you wish to move to a topic that is mandatory please proceed to Session 3, Topic 1, Adding Categories and Areas. GL Acc Codes This video will take you through how to add G/L Acc Codes (account codes). These codes will be used for reporting purposes similar to your back office accounting system. For a more detailed breakdown of G/L Acc Codes click once on the GL Acc Codes heading. Sundry Charges This video will take you through how to add Sundry Charges. These sundries are used to charge miscellaneous items to your guest's accounts, they may include Breakfast charges, Dinner charges, Minibar charges, Rental charges or Refundable Key Deposit charges. For a more detailed breakdown of Sundries click once on the Sundry Charges heading. Credit Card Setup This video will take you through how to add Credit Cards. The credit cards added, will become your choice of cards when processing a receipt in RMS for the receipt type of Credit Card and EFTPos. For a more detailed breakdown of Credit Cards click once on the Credit Card Setup heading. Requirements (optional element) This video will take you through how to add Requirements. This is an optional element of the setup process. Requirements work with the To Do List in RMS and also charge guests on check In for miscellaneous items. For a more detailed breakdown of Requirements click once on the Requirements heading. Sundry Packages (optional element) This video will take you through how to add Sundry Packages. Sundry Packages allow you to group many sundry charges under a single heading, this would be used for packages that you sell which are not related to a Tariff in any way. For a more detailed breakdown of Sundry Packages click once on the Sundry Packages Setup heading. Coming Soon! Discounts (optional element) This video will take you through how to add Discounts. Discounts are used to automatically apply a pre defined credit to a guest for their accommodation, this is normally used for Corporate guests, Group Member discounts etc. For a more detailed breakdown of Discounts click once on the Discounts heading. Late Fees (optional element) This video will take you through how to add Late Fees. Late Fees allow you to automatically charge a pre defined fee to your long term guests when their rent falls overdue. For a more detailed breakdown of Late Fees click once on the Late Fee heading. Coming Soon!
- Session 3
- This session will take you through how to add your Categories (Room Types) and Areas (Rooms). In essence the bookable elements at your property. Categories (Room Types) Learn how to add your categories into your RMS system. Categories group your areas together in RMS. Examples of categories are; Apartment Buildings may choose to add One, Two and Three Bedroom Apartments as categories Caravan Parks may choose to add Tent Sites, Permanent Sites, Powered and Unpowered Sites as categories Motels & Hotels may choose to add Studio, One Bedroom and Spa Suites as categories Single Areas (Rooms) Learn how to add your areas into your RMS system. Areas are the physical bookable elements of your property, you may refer to them as Rooms, Sites or Apartments. Interconnecting Areas (Rooms) Learn how to add interconnecting areas into your RMS system. Interconnecting areas are added when two seperate areas (added above) have a lockable doorway between them or share a common entry.
- Session 4
- This article will take you through the steps on how to add your Tariffs (Rates) into RMS, so that your RMS system can automatically calculate your rates when making a reservation. Tariffs (Rates) - Chart vs Traditional RMS has two seperate ways to enter your tariffs, the first being through the Tariff/Availability Chart, the second is using the traditional tariff setup. You are able to use both methods, For Example, you may wish to setup a Stay 7 Pay 6 tariff using the traditional method BUT setup your standard nightly tariff using the Tariff/Availability Chart. Which method do you use for your tariffs? This section has been designed to assist you in finding that answer. If you are using the RMSOnline module and have chosen to link your property to any of the RMS Integrated Sites (CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST) you will need to use the Tariff Availability Chart for your tariff setup as these agents can only read from the chart tariffs. If you are using the RMSOnline module and have chosen to link your property to any of the Integrated Channel Managers (CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST) OR are using the RMS Bookings from your Website link you have the option of using either method. We suggest that you watch the videos in all three (3) sections of this article before starting to enter your tariffs to ensure that you make the choice that best suites your property. Watch the short video below which outlines the differences. Minimum/Maximum Nights Explained This short video will take you through how minimum nights work in RMS, we recommend that you watch this video before starting your tariff configuration. Tariff/Availability Chart - RMS Recommended The Tariff/Availability Chart gives you a flexability with your tariffs that you dont get with a traditional setup. Why is this method RMS Recommended? The chart allows you to quickly and easily see the tariff that is available on any given date You can manually override a tariff in seconds You can change your travel agent allotments quickly You can perform a stop sell of allotments in two simple clicks You can activate sales that will appear on your RMS online booking page Below we have provided short videos on each element required when adding a chart tariff. This setup has been based on a rate sheet for Mexican Shores (CLICK HERE TO SEE A COPY OF THE RATE SHEET) Tariff Types Tariff Types are the first element that needs to be entered when adding tariffs into RMS. Tariff Types are the description of the Tariff you are charging, For Example, Rack Rate, Corporate Rate, Online Special etc. It is important to note that you do not require one for every category or tariff that you wish to enter. One tariff type can be linked to many categories and tariffs. The only time you will need to add a second tariff type into your RMS system is if you wish to run two seperate tariffs at the same time for the same category. Adding the Tariff Chart Tariffs are where you link your period (seasons) to your tariff (being the amount to charge nightly). Please ensure that before watching this video you print off a copy of the Mexican Shores Rate Sheet which can be found using the link just about Tariff Types. Traditional Tariffs Traditional Tariffs are made up of 4 seperate elements; Tariff Types, Tariff Periods, Tariff Tables all held together by the last element the Tariff Lookup. Below we have provided short videos on each of the 4 elements including three (3) different Tariff setup options. This setup has been based on a rate sheet for Mexican Shores (CLICK HERE TO SEE A COPY OF THE RATE SHEET) Tariff Types Tariff Types are the first element that needs to be entered when adding tariffs into RMS. Tariff Types are the description of the Tariff you are charging, For Example, Rack Rate, Corporate Rate, Online Special etc. It is important to note that you do not require one for every category or tariff that you wish to enter. One tariff type can be linked to many categories and tariffs. The only time you will need to add a second tariff type into your RMS system is if you wish to run two seperate tariffs at the same time for the same category. Periods Tariff Periods define your seasons, or in other words, tell RMS when your Tariff should increase and decrease. Some examples of common periods are, Public Holidays, Christmas, Low Season or School Holidays. Periods added into RMS can overlap, therefore you should start with your longest period, normally a low season, then build your other seasons ontop of this. Standard Tariff Table Tariff tables define the amount RMS will calculate for your guests stay. This section also covers how to add deposit rules and extra charges for additional adults and children. Package Tariff Table Package Tariff Tables allow you to create Bed and Breakfast Packages and much more! Per Person Tariff Table Per Person Tariff Tables allow you to create a tariff that is charged on the number of adults and children on a reservation. Tariff Lookups The last piece of the Traditional Tariff puzzle. This element links together the Tariff Type, Category, Tariff Period & Tariff Table to form a Tariff which can be calculated automatically when adding reservations into your RMS system.
- Session 5
- Welcome to Session Five (5) of Configuring your RMS system. Most of the topics in this session are optional elements. Each of the below topics can be setup at any time, therefore if you wish to skip over these elements and come back to set them up at a later date please proceed to Session 6. RMS recommends that at a minimum you should complete the topics named User Security and Field Maintenance before moving forward to Session six (6). Attributes (Optional) Attributes can be applied to Categories, Areas or Dwellings to identify assets with particular characteristics. For Example: Ocean view, Disabled access, Parking Available etc. Selection of an attribute on the Booking Chart or Tariff/Availability Chart to search on will show only those assets with that attribute associated. Booking Sources (Optional) Booking Sources are intended as a source of marketing data. Knowledge of the source of a reservation is useful when directing advertising and creating market analysis. There are a number of reports in RMS that will provide you with information on the revenue and occupancy by booking source. Res Types (Optional) Reservation Types display as a field on the reservation screen. They may be used to reflect the purpose of the reservations stay or identify types of reservations. For Example: Corporate Clients, Fly Fishing Championships etc. Housekeeping (Only if you have selected to use Housekeeping) The housekeeping feature in RMS can be used extensively or simply just to assign tasks to perform for housekeepers. Housekeeping is made up of 6 elements all of which are optional except one (1), being Tasks. If you have chosen not to use the housekeeping feature of RMS please proceed to our next topic - Travel Agents. Travel Agents (Optional) Not to be confused with Online Agents (See RMSOnline), Travel Agents can be added into your RMS system, which can then be associated to Clients and Reservations. A Travel Agent can consolidate all accounts for associated reservations into one account (using A/R) or one statement. Companies (Optional) Coming soon to RMS9! By adding companies into your RMS system you can then associate these companies with Clients and Reservations. A company can consolidate all accounts for associated reservations into one account (using A/R) or one statement. User Security Setting this feature will allow you to govern where your staff can go within RMS and what they have access to. Further to this you can also customize which fields a user can see when they are creating a client record or making a reservation. Security Profiles Users Field Maintenance This feature allows you to select the fields you wish to show on the Reservation, Client, RMSOnline, Event Reservation and Dwelling screens found in RMS. Use of this feature will provide screens which show only the fields you require to see and the order in which you wish to see them. Form Letters Coming Soon to RMS9! By adding form letters into your RMS system you are then able to email and/or print correspondence for your clients. Form Letters are a template letter where information that can change (for example: client name) can be inserted as a merge field, therefore, when this letter is sent it will merge all of the appropriate information for you.
- Session 6
- This session will take you through how to create, edit and search for reservations in your RMS system. CLICK HERE to watch a webinar on the topics below. Single Reservations Group Reservations Long Term Reservations Reservation Search Screen Client Search Screen Booking Chart Availability Chart
- Session 7
- Explains what the feature is or what its benefits are to the user or customer. In/Out Screen Snapshot To Do List Cash Account Report Writer
- Session 8
- Session eight (8) is the final session in configuring your RMS system, the below topics will take you through the steps on going Live with your RMS system. Steps to Going Live We have outlined three (3) documents on steps to going live. Your trainer will work through these steps with you as all steps may not apply depending on the system you have purchased and what modules you are using. Steps to Going Live - Used by properties who are not using Owner or Trust Accounting. Steps to Going Live Owner Accounting - Used by properties who are using Owner Accounting. Steps to Going Live Trust Accounting - Used by properties who are using Trust Accounting. Night Audit Procedure Daily Front Office Procedures We have created four (4) Daily Procedures Guides to assist you with your daily functions with RMS. Each of the links below has a document format that you can download and alter to suit your properties needs. These guides include common daily tasks as well as what common reporting RMS recommends that you print, Daily, Weekly and Monthly. Daily Procedures for Caravan Parks Daily Procedures for Hotel/Motel Daily Procedures for RMS Lite Housekeeping Procedures Guide